Combe Down and Monkton Combe directory listings
Here are extracts, from the Bath Post Office Directory and Kelly’s directories for Combe Down and Monkton Combe and a range of years from 1864 – 1939. They give an interesting insight into the development of the area.
Kelly’s Directory was a trade directory that listed businesses and tradespeople in a particular city or town, as well as a general directory of postal addresses of local gentry, landowners, charities, etc.
About 1835 Frederic Festus Kelly became chief inspector of letter carriers for the Post Office. He took over publication of the Post Office London Directory, by buying it from the widow of his predecessor and founded Kelly & Co.
He expanded the company over several decades, producing directories for an increasing number of UK counties and buying out or putting out of business competing publishers.
Kelly’s went out of business soon after the advent of the internet.
If you are interested in directories that are available online the University of Leicester has a collection.
History of Bath Research Group has also put online Bath Historical Directories.
Legend: CD = Combe Down MC = Monkton Combe PO = Post Office